- Rough Shifting: If you feel like the gears aren’t smooth while shifting and it simply refuses to shift properly, then you probably have a transmission problem. If this is the case, have your transmission fluid checked and an examination of the shift cables and clutch linkage.
- Slippage: If you notice that you’re popping out of gears, a delay in acceleration or coasting, or feel a “slipping” sensation, then you probably have a transmission slip problem. This can be quite dangerous and you should take your car to the shop pronto.
- Dragging Clutch: Often heard with a grinding noise, a dragging clutch happens when the driver attempts to shift gears and fails because the clutch is still spinning along with the engine.
- Overheating: Lubrication is lost at higher temperatures, so heavy towing and stop and go traffic in hot temps are major culprits for overheating. You may even smell burning transmission fluid if your Exotic Makes is overheating. Have the fluid level checked—and make sure it’s not leaking—and changed if needed.
- Clunking & Whining Noises: Whether you have an automatic or manual, hearing these sounds can be troublesome. To be safe, it’s best to have your local independent cars service shop try to replicate the sound and identify the best course of action for the problem.
Neglecting proper transmission care will cause problems in the future. The longer you drive with a transmission problem, the worse the problem is going to get. Period. There are certain transmission signs you may notice, that you simply cannot ignore because they can develop into real, costly repairs. These signs include:
Our news stories and photo galleries posted from some other sites we respect. Attribution is made for those. Most photos, however, are contributed by our friends and customers which, are generally one in the same. :-)